Dear Colleagues and Friends, On behalf of our founders, past presidents, past board members, and past members, it is with great pride that I welcome you to the DeKalb Lawyers Association (DLA). I am honored to have the privilege to serve as this great organization’s 33rd President. DLA is an organization that has a rich history and has past presidents and members that have positively impacted the legal community both nationally and locally. I am very honored to stand on the shoulders of the past presidents and members before me that have been catalysts of significant change in the legal community.
Throughout the years, DLA has been committed to service to its members and the Dekalb community. The concept of service is ingrained in and fundamental to our profession. We serve clients in our daily work. We serve the legal system by maintaining high standards of integrity and professionalism. We serve each other through friendship, mentorship, and through active engagement in associations like DLA.
To continue our commitment to service to our members and community, here are some highlights of the 2017-2018 year that you will see:
- The launch of our new mentorship program targeted to benefit law students and young lawyers;
- More community service opportunities to help those in need in the DeKalb community
- Informative panels and speakers that will address different areas of the law and important issues in the legal community
- A meaningful and informative CLE offered to DLA members
- Issuance of a DeKalb courthouse identification card as a membership benefit
- More opportunities for networking, service, mentorship, pro bono and collaboration;
In the spirit of service, I challenge all of you this year to invite your colleagues to join DLA, talk to a young lawyer about how DLA can help his or her career, become a mentor to a young lawyer and volunteer with us in our community service projects. I am so excited to embark on this journey of serving this great organization and look forward to meeting and speaking with all of you to help build and serve DeKalb to continue DLA’s great legacy: to serve its members and community.
In service to Dekalb Lawyers Association,
Latasha V. Barnes, Esq.
President, DeKalb Lawyers Association (DLA)